On Pins and Needles
Poured Watercolor, 21×28″
I am a huge fan of textile art, and especially quilting. I have often wished that I knew how to quilt. However, that is not my gift or my passion. So instead I paint quilts.
The reference for the painting was in my friend Pam’s quilting studio. Pam makes these amazing quilts with vibrant colors and I couldn’t resist photographing some of her work and her tools of the trade. I knew from the moment I took the photos, that I had a new subject for a pour. Below is my step by step process of the pour.
I always start off my painting with a drawing. The pins took a long time to draw as I wanted to make sure the lines were dark enough that they would not fade as I poured successive layers of paint over them.
After masking out my whites and pouring the first pour, this is what it looked like.
For the next pour, I first masked out my lightest areas and then poured again. I will admit that my paper dried too quickly on this pour and my colors blended too well. I wanted to have more separation of the colors and realized I should have had more splashes of blue. It was difficult to keep the orange and blue from mixing though.
As you can see, I tried to add more blue.
Going darker. I feel like I lost the blue again. I also lost some of those pins and needles. I decided that overmasking was better than undermasking as I could paint in the details later.
Final pour. I made the decision to make this my final pour even though I felt like the quilt was still too light. I still found the paper drying much too quickly and because of this, I was struggling with the getting the colors to move the way I wanted them to.
The Big Reveal.
I lifted the mask at this point even though I didn’t feel like I had done enough pouring to make that quilt darker.
I wanted to go darker on the quilt under the bowl but instead of masking it out again, I wet just the quilt area and dropped in the blue of the quilt and more blue into the bowl with the pins. I added more detail and color to the pins, needles, and threads by painting with a brush. I realized when doing this that I would not be a very good quilter as I missed some of stitching and wasn’t very uniform with other stitches. It is probably a good thing that it isn’t meant to be slept under (unless you hang a print of it above your bed). The final image is seen at the top of this post.
Due to several requests, this painting is available as a print by going to my Fine Art America Store by clicking here.